Electrical Products and Child Safety

From cell phones to laptops, and even refrigerators which now have Smart screens or family hubs, electronics have made it easier for kids to become tech savvy and use them at a younger and younger age.  Electronics are such a part of our daily lives that we often mesh kids and electrical appliances and don’t give it a second thought.

mayzimmain.jpg

Maybe we should.

Electrical appliances, and, heat appliances in particular represent a danger to children. As our society becomes more reliant on technology, electronics, and charging cords which aren’t in use, become a common sight.

Charging cords


Only restraint prevents us from resorting to anecdotal tales about young children whose interactions with chargers and electrical cords result in deeply disturbing outcomes. The problem with a lot of these chargers is that they’re of a low-voltage variety-- ‘safer’, we think. But, ‘safer’ when it comes to electrical shock isn’t ‘safe’.  To add to the mix, many electrical devices have appliances which plug into them. Cell Phones have earphones. Computers have USB ports. Computers have printers.

Heating appliances


Electrical plugs are the safest they’ve ever been. It’s actually much harder for a child to get electrocuted by a wall socket. The hazard lies with burns from heat appliances, such as hair straighteners and toasters, when children see how they operate and attempt to mimic parental behavior. Just like that cuss word you let slip becomes your toddler’s favorite new word, it seems like the things which represent the most danger to them are the ones they want to try.

Fans

Traditional fans are not safe, but we’ve heard of parents who didn’t have the money to drop on a bladeless fan say that a tower fan was a good second choice.

Major appliances


The two most dangerous electrical appliances in your home are your dishwasher and your range. The reason is because both of these have drop down doors. Dishwashers are full of sharp things and detergent, which is much more toxic than it seems. The range is a hazard because kids want to climb on the door to see what’s cooking. Both of these can tip over if they aren’t bolted in place or have anti-tip brackets. So, the danger level isn’t confined to watch they can reach from the floor.

Parent bombardment

To add to the confusion, parents are constantly bombarded with information experts and others believe is critical for the child’s well-being. (It should be noted that none of these so-called experts are available to babysit on Saturday night when the parents need a breather.)  The result is a kind of numbness on the part of parents. After being slammed with so many ‘do’s and don’ts’ all the time, even the most hyper-vigilant parent becomes desensitized by the sheer volume of warnings, recommendations, and safety products.


While about 100 kids a year die from electrocution, when you consider the number of kids and electrical products that mesh, it’s a respectively low number. However, electrical products do pose a second threat to children--it just usually comes in the form of burns.

If you have any doubt as to the electrical safety of your outlets, wiring, or other electrical concerns, we are here to help! Call for an electrical review or repair. We’d be glad to hear from you!

Zimmerman Electric is here to serve your residential and commercial electrical needs throughout the Phoenix Valley metro area. Call us today if you need electrical work performed 602-497-3365.